Agreement signed for Nam Ngum dam 1 floating solar power project

February 19 witnessed the signing of a project development agreement (PDA) for a floating solar power project in Vientiane province.

The agreement was signed in Vientiane Capital between Deputy Minister of Planning and Investment Khamchan Vongsenboune, Deputy Minister of Energy and Mines Sinava Souphanouvong, Director of Planning and Investment Department of Xaysomboun Province Chanthanom Vongsomchit, and President of Hangzhou Safefound Technology Co., Ltd Rui Zhao and Director of Lao PPA Accounting Consultancy and Auditing Sengthongphachan Sivongxay.

The project, on a 25-year concession, is a joint venture where the government holds a 20% stake and private companies hold the rest 80%.

The project will have an installed generation capacity of 1,200 MW and cover a total area of almost 1,500 ha of the reservoir of Nam Ngum dam 1.

The project will be implemented in two phases with the first phase to be conducted between late 2020 and 2023 for an installed generation capacity of 300 mw and second phase between 2023 and 2026 for a capacity of 900 mw.

The project will also involve the installation of 115/230-KV transmission lines for 40 km from the project site to the Sengsavang Substation in Thoulakhom district, Vientiane province.

The uniqueness of this project is its limited use of space as solar power generation equipment will be floating on a water surface. No intrusion of land areas. Thus it is able to increase electricity generation of the dam, said Rui Zhao.

According to previous studies, power plants with floating solar power extension can have generation capacity increased by 10%. Solar power equipment installed above water level is removable and environment-friendly, said Rui Zhao.

He also said that the vast area of Nam Ngum dam 1 reservoir covered with solar power equipment will become an attractive landscape for visitors.

Source: Lao News Agency